There is a group of four men (including me) who meet regularly to discuss matters of faith from the viewpoint of a skeptic/unbeliever. I love meeting with this group and am energized by the challenge of giving defense for my faith in Christ to a group of men who come from a different perspective.
As a result of being in this group, there are 10 matters that have become very important to me as a Christ follower. I list these in no particular order:
- Matters of faith should be able to be communicated with reasonableness and intelligence, being able to withstand the most articulate scrutiny.
- The growing number of skeptics and unbelievers in our society should be invited into conversations with people of faith.
- The infallible fruit of a living faith in Christ is a life of love. Those who disagree with me or oppose me should no less be recipients of this love and acceptance.
- People are never a means to an end; relationships are priceless.
- As the Senior (this word has two appropriate meanings) Pastor of Asbury it is important that unbelievers feel welcomed to our church.
- I do not have all the answers; I can learn from anyone else.
- Each person is on a unique journey. Only God understands us completely.
- Laughter is very much needed. I will not take myself too seriously.
- Only God can create faith. I am simply a vessel in His hands.
- Jesus Christ is the most winsome, loving, challenging and healing human being who ever lived. And, He is alive!
I encourage you not to be threatened by those who come from a different faith/unfaith place than you. Love them, listen well and build those relationships. God still works miracles.
P.S. If you would like to be part of the Group, please contact me!